Saturday 10 November 2012

Finalising the Ghosts and Creating James

After finishing the ghost silhouettes me and the group agreed that the "Hanged Man" (Number 2) and "Jimmy Squarefoot" were the strongest and were the most worthy of further development. Those 2 enemies would get a full written profile and a visual touch up. After researching how to make the ghosts look more ethereal.
After some research I found this painting of a ghost ship and found that light desaturated blues worked well for the job I wanted to perform. The first iteration of the Jimmy and the hanged man came out way too blue. Although they looked like ghosts, they looked like they were from Scooby-Doo or some other cheesy interpretation of a ghost. This isn't exactly the sort of look I wanted my ghosts to have. The group also made the point of saying that they wanted some indication of colour rather than plain monochrome. I argued that too much colour would make the ghosts look too solid and less ethereal. I managed to find a comprise point however by adding a low ocapicity layer with some basic colour over the top.
The Hanged Man
Jimmy Squarefoot
After this my next job was to create the secondary character, James. As a group we had decided that he would have been close to figuring out the cause of the supernatural happenings in the village 200 years ago when it all started. He was killed during these events and had come back as a ghost to use Anne to interact with the world in the ways he cannot. He convinces her that he is a medium. This serves as a way of explaining his supernatural abilities.
For the modern version of James, Juliette suggested this suit:
With this coat:
For his hair I wanted to give him something that could work for a modern medium and a Victorian academic. I chose to replicate, more or less, Oscar Wilde's hair.
I'm not overly happy with the final result. I felt they were under researched and that I didn't spend enough time on them.
Modern James

I think the face is a little unrealistic and under developed, especially when compared to Anne. Regardless of this I have had to leave it (for now) due to time constraints.
I have very similar critical views on the Victorian version of James. I chose this outfit:

Again I do not think this is nearly as refined as it should be I would like to preferably redo the design if time permits.

Having finished with the visual work I wanted to work on the character profiles. The original profile for the main character the thought was too dramatic and gave her too much character. After a discussion with our tutor Matt I realised that the main character should be more of a "blank slate". I did this by leaving a lot of details out of her life and giving her a very basic motivation. She is a journalist trying to prove herself by investigating the village.
James has a bit more of a complex history. The group seemed to disagree with James being a journalist too. I found the best 19th century occupation for him was that of an academic studying natural philosophy. In his search for natural answers to the events in the village, he finds that the only answers available are far from natural.

The next profiles I was required to write were the enemy profiles. I didn't seem to get much resistance on this and feel more than happy that my stories and designs work well for our game.







No comments:

Post a Comment