Sunday 20 November 2011

Contextual Studies: Finishing the Essay and Final Thoughts

After a tutorial with the lecturers, I was told that my subject of "trance inducing games" was far too wide a subject for 1000 words. It was suggested that I simply define the states of mind achieved when playing games. Even this, I struggled to fit into 1000 words. I also had a large problem finding enough research on the web and found myself needing to buy a lot more research to find enough research to even complete the original title at its full length. Having not even read a full book on games design, I think this sort of research question is best left until I have fully read and studied as many of these texts as my mind can handle. This does not mean I can't put this research into practice and try to create a trance inducing game the next time I am faced with the oppertunity.
Surprisingly, I managed to fit every piece of solid research I had found into my essay. Bar a few random articles on brain waves. This is why I believe this sort of research question is best left until I have enough time to read enourmous quantities of psychological case studies and game design books to find out what ground has already been covered. Although seperating the trance state from the immersive state does not seem to be something that has been extensivly covered, it is very difficult to say that without more time for research.
I am moderatly pleased with the essay itself. The 1000 word limit was definitly a good move to force me into writing concisly. However, I found it very difficult to "define" the states of mind, but instead chose to explain them. Instead of stating every psychological symptom of being in the state, I thought it better to briefly cover that and then explain why I thought the state occured. This is not really a problem, but it is certainly not something I am overly proud of. Although 1000 words is enough to encourage good writing, it does not feel like enough to allow for creativity or uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment