Saturday 19 November 2011

Concept Art Rampage!

As the deadline comes closer and closer, I find myself being worked up into a frenzy. I am being forced into a mode where the quick absorbtion of knowledge and fast working is crucial to meeting my deadline.

In the past day, I have completed a vast amount of concept art to be used as illustration in the game design document. Thankfully, the cartoon style of the game allows me to paint quickly, using only a couple of colours for each coloured surface. I believe that I have stuck to the style I dicussed before, showing a sort of dark humour. As always though, I feel that my artistic skill is not up to professional standards, despite the constant practices I keep myself busy with. The only solution I can see to improve upon it for future projects is to study and practice until I am satisfied; which, considered the nature of life and the creative mind, will be never.

More pressing than the concept art still left to be done, for I believe I have enough to get my point across although not enough to give the reader an absolute feel of the game, is the design document itself. Most of the game has been successfully designed, although there are a few very small holes which need to be filled. I have around a day and two nights to write the document and there are many other things which also need to be done. I am, however, optimistic.

I have finally worked out the design for the rampage mode. After playing Rampage 2: Universal Tour, I managed to figure out exactly what I wanted. I want the mode to only be a small mini-game worthy of testing your monsters growth. The monster goes to a city, where it causes as much destruction as possible before it is beaten or the city is completly decimated.

The rampage mode consists of the monster, constantly on the left side of the screen moving along a 2 dimensional city, on the right of the screen. The monster is constantly move at a set speed, dependent on the limbs it has been given. However, the faster it moves, the more object its can damage, building, people, helicopters, etc. The slower it moves the more damage it can cause to single objects. Damaging objects gives you points. The goal is to get as many points as possible before you die or the city is destroyed. As the monster grows bigger and bigger, the screen will show a wider view to show more and more city. As a baby/larva the monster can only see the bases of building and people fill the screen and, depending on how big the monster eventually grow, when adult the screen can just be a landcapes where the monster can just roll over landscapes to destroy them, only worrying about the odd nuclear missile flug their way.
I think that this game could be a lot more detailed, but given the time I have left, I believe that it more than adequetly fufils its purpose of being a small mini-game.

No comments:

Post a Comment