Tuesday 6 December 2011

Completing the Project

Having now sorted out the idea, I just had to put the idea into a design document and, hardest of all, communicate the idea visually for the presentation. I started out with the plan of creating a full concept piece for the entire scene.
The first piece of the scene I started work on was the face. In order to make my concept art for the face clearer I researched the planes of the face and played around with the idea to get an angle and face type that suited my needs.
My research into the planes of the head, face types and angles.
I wanted the face to look wise and slightly sinister; what I imagine the face of an old building to be. After a bit of playing around, I drew a face I thought suited the job.
My final template sketch for the face.

Not having precticed with colour a lot, I found the step of adding it extremly difficult. I felt that, being a mapped projection, the face needed a more realistic effect than what I am usually used to drawing. Not feeling confident enough in my digital painting skills, I decided a photo manipulation would be best.

On both Photomanipulations I used clone brushed textures of the brick and concrete from photographs I took of the wall I want to project the mapped projection on to. On the first (left) I used three seperate layers with different levels with clipping masks to create tone. Although I think this is the best  looking of the two, I don't think it gives the effect that the face is made of brick and is coming out of the wall, the second (right) does. For the second picture I gave the image a more 3-dimensional look by using warped textures. This makes the face look as if it is coming out of the wall. Unfortunatly, It doesn't amazingly professional because I am relativly new to this technique, trying it out as I made the photomanipulation. It does, however, give the feeling of 3 dimensions and that it actually has volume, which is why I chose the second over the first.

The next element of the scene I wanted to create was the glass cursor sprites made from the shattered fragments of the windows. Drawing on the design from the previous post, I found this relativly easy compared to the face. The next design I drew, I liked, so I stuck with it.
These creatures are much more light hearted than the face and slightly less intergrated with the building. I felt like this meant I could stray away from (attempts at) photo-realism for these guys. I enjoyed painting them. Due to their entire bodies being made of flat shards of broken glass, the shading is done in a way that almost felt like painting by numbers.

Surprisingly, the hardest things I found to draw were the holes in the wall for the screens and the game. This needed to be intergratable with the faces photo-manipualtion style which made it especially tricky.
The above picture is of the screen. I wanted the screen and games to look like they were holes that had been ripped open, leaving jagged edges. The jagged edges, it turns out, are extremly difficult to do when paired with the brick texture i used for the face. Although the picture of the screen, above, is passable, I could not get the more rectangular shape where the game would be played through to look right. After a while of searching for a solution I decided it would be better to present a quick sketch of the game, that would look like a sketch and not like something I had spent hours trying to make look good and failing.

Although I will not be able to present the whole scene in one concept piece, like I would have originally liked, I am happy to present the project in each of its seperate parts. I had very little trouble developing the idea, although I would have liked to have come up with a more original game idea, the concept work was what I found to be the hardest. My two main problems to be addressed for and during the next project, are the improvment of my drawing skills, particularly in colour and improving my ability to focus without procrastination.

No comments:

Post a Comment