Saturday 31 December 2011

Side-Project: Card Games

Always wanting to improve my abilities in Game's Art & Design, I decided to read Chris Crawford's The Art of Computer Game Design. The problem with reading a book on any practical subject is that it is very difficult to commit the principles described to habit and memory without putting them into practice as you learn them. This means designing a game.
In order to design a game without spending too much time on the actual production of the game, I need to design a game for a media that already has the tools and production "pre-done". I have decided to design a card game. As I go through the book, I will be putting each of the principles taught into practice as they are taught, provided that they are need for the game I want to design. I have read through all of the chapters preceding the chapter that focuses on the design process and believe that the information is fresh enough in my head that I can bring it back from memory if needed.
The first section in the design chapter was about goals. The goals Crawford talks about are not specifically set on the development of the game and the process that should be taken, but rather, what the player should feel or learn when they play the game, such as discovery, puzzlment, leadership, etc.. The designer should also plan the topics involved, which should be strictly seperated from the goals. Topics include the world the game is set in, or themes like medieval fantasy and futuristic Sci-Fi. These should be decided to fit the goals, not the other way around.

The goals, topics and general idea of my card game are as follows. I want to design a fairly simple solitaire card game ( although Crawford points out earlier in the book that these bear a closer resemblance to puzzles that games) that gives the player a feeling of adventure and discovery (goal) similar to what you may find in some Role-Playing Games (topic). I would also like for it to give the player a feeling of mastery over what (s)he discovers (goal)(Discovery & Mastery. Possible game name?), a good way of doing this would be to have a more puzzle, skill based element (topic).

No comments:

Post a Comment