Thursday 16 February 2012

Begining Sculpt

Our brief for this project is to use Autodesk Mudbox or a similar piece of sculpting software to sculpt an accurate likeness of a person of our choosing. Be it ourselves, a classmate or a friend. The model I chose was a classmate, Jack Eastoe.
Before starting the project I had already performed drawn studies of the shape of the skull and the musculature of the face. Although my knowledge and skill in drawing anatomy still have a long way to go, this knowledge helps a great deal in doing simple things like finding cheekbones and the location and proportion of facial features where reference photos fail me.
I already have a pretty good knowledge of the structure of the head and face.
After playing around in photoshop for a while, I discovered that it was near impossible to get the front and side reference photos to match up completly. I found that the best way to do things in Mudbox was to find a safe point in-between what the two photos suggest.
I have not yet made an enormous amount of progress on this project, but I have managed to come close to finishing the nose and mouth.
I haven't made a lot of progress, but have come close to completing the nose and mouth.
I have also found that it is possible to spend too long on one thing. The nose and mouth alone have taken hours to get close and I feel I should leave them for a short time in order to ensure I get the rest of the face done.
Jack, my model, has a very unsymmetrical face (no offence Jack). This means that the model will need a lot of tweaking when the right side of Jack's face has been sculpted.
I have found that one side of Jack's face is fairly unsymmetrical to the other. Major adjustments will need to be made to the left side later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment