Friday 24 February 2012

Finished the Sculpt.

I found that, once all the detail and basic shape is there, the rest is just making tweaks to features that are already there. As the sculpt got more and more accurate, I found that the tweaks gradually became smaller and smaller. However, I also occasionally noticed a big tweak that needed to be made, such as one eye being too small, or the jaw being too narrow and not low enough, both problems I had. I found that it was extremly difficult to make some of these changes without distorting a lot of the smaller tweaks made previously. This meant I often found myself redoing things like the eyes and cheekbones. I also found that the tweaking could go on for an age. Being fairly happy with how the sculpture was at that particular point, I chose to leave it, but there are a few changes I would have liked to have made, given the time.
The eyes look scuffed and unrealistic and I would have like to have spent a few hours just focusing on them. However, because I put the eyes through a lot of changes and small tweaks, the polygons in the eyes ended up stretched to the point where it was difficult to add detail at levels where it should have been possible to do so (around 100,000 polygons). This is a good lesson to learn for next time. To make sure, when creating the original shape of the features, to leave enough resolution in that area to add detail where it is needed.
Another thing I would have liked more time to improve upon is the hair. I managed to etch in a feeling of the flow and direction of the hair, but didn't have enough time left to give it more shape and detail. The hair also covers the ears, which would have been a tricky, but enjoyable bit to perfect, for now I have only left a rough impression.
The only other Improvement I would like to make is just, more detail. Going from the creases in the lips to the pores and moles. I enjoy sculpting. I can get lost in it and I feel like it gives me a feeling of form which I can apply to other diciplines like drawing and 3D modelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment