Tuesday 24 April 2012

Finally finished the design

After doing what I felt was enough studies to produce some actual designs, I jumped right in and painted a 3/4 view of the Kokiri door.
3/4 full concept for Kokiri door
After doing a rough linework layer based on the sketches shown in the last post, I began blocking in the basic colours with round hard edged brush. The colours I chose were based on the general desaturated look the Kokiri forest has in the game.
The colour and texture of the door was taken from the Kokiri shield, appearing to be made of bark from the Deku tree. A sacred tree to the deku people.
I also noticed that the symbol of the shield roughly represents the letter Y. It is for this reason I chose to draw the letter F with a similar organic swirl to it.
The single leaf that hangs of the side of the tree acts as a call back to the large leaves atop each Kokiri house.
The vines and toadstools were put it to give the image a more "fairy forest" feel. Although the "Fly Agaric" mushrooms were chosen for their bright red and white colour which adds a complimentary splash of saturation to the painting.

Once I had all of the elements I needed in the painting, I took a chalk brush with a low opacity and added tone to the image, building up the tone over time, blending as I went.

Now that I had a more detailed painting with a bit more texture, I felt I could be a bit more rough with the orthographic designs, keeping the linework in and only adding enough tone to define the shape.
The back of the model wont be over detailed. It will only show the opening in the roots that the door covers and the texture of the inside wall of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment