Thursday 19 April 2012

Studying for the door

Since the Kokiri doors are embedded into the roots of the trees they live in, I decided to create a very quick thumbnail of what the door might look like before performing studies to improve the look of the door.
Initial Thumbnail
I then decided to look through some images of tree roots to find the ones that would look the best in the Kokiri forest.
Although I could have gone for a root system a bit more Arcane and twisted, I decided on the above root type. This is because the Kokiri race are eternally young. These roots have a much younger, smoother and more playful feel to them.
Root study and door sketch based on root study.
After a quick play with tone and line to get the technique down I decided to create a quick sketch based on my studies.
On it's own, however, the door looks a touch bare. So, I began to look out how I could attach vines to the door frame.
Again I began scouring google images for a type of vine that was not too covered in leaves or too thick. I wanted a vine you might find in a western "fairy forest".
The above vines are small and have an interesting shape and is sparse enough in leaves to not take attention away from the door.
I have yet to design the door itself, although I would like it to be made of "Deku" bark. The same material used to make the deku shield.
The Deku Shield is made from the same material I would like the door to be made from.

No comments:

Post a Comment